Monday, September 2, 2013

Full STEAM ahead!

So far my school year is off to a very exciting start! Last spring, we received official designation as a STEM school, which means every grade preK-8 will be focusing at least one or two units of interdisciplinary studies in science, technology, engineering, and math. When I received the news via email in the early weeks of June, I couldn't resist sending a response with a reference to STEAM...the movement to add the essential arts and design element that has been championed by the Rhode Island School of Design. At the time, I really didn't expect an immediate response, although I felt pretty confident that the idea would be well-received because our principal is a very strong supporter of the visual and performing arts in our school and in our community.



Mechanical puppet made by
the Zoot Theatre Company, one
of our Muse Machine arts partners
When I attended the STEM in-service day just before school started in August, I was more than pleasantly surprised to learn that STEAM was going to become a reality sooner than I expected! Our principal and assistant principal have embraced the idea and our PTO is sponsoring a STEAM fundraiser in October. For now, I have no idea where this will take me and my curriculum, but I'm looking forward to finding out!



I have a feeling my art room iPads are going
to get a workout this year...bring it on!

 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment