Monday, October 21, 2013

Dot Day Zentangles

This project took a little longer to complete than I had originally planned, but I love the way it turned out! I like to begin the seventh grade year with a unit about Zentangles. Every year is a little different, but for the most part, this meditative drawing activity makes for a calm, focused art period on Friday afternoons, which is when I see my seventh grade students. This year, after the traditional four-inch square Zentangles were completed, I pulled out a box of old CDs and DVDs (courtesy of our computer lab) and we made Dot Day Zentangles.


First, the students created a round Zentangle, the same size as the CD or DVD.
 
A simplified version of the Zentangle was then drawn on the shiny side
of the disk using colored permanent markers.
 
 
We used Mod Podge to glue the paper to the disk.
A white twist tie was sandwiched between the layers for hanging the finished work.
 
 
 
The students also had the option of glazing the paper with the Mod Podge
to create a shiny surface and protect the paper drawing.
 
 
Now that most of the projects are finished, the last step will be using fishing line to hang the pieces in the window to catch and reflect the sunlight. Should be quite lovely!
 




1 comment:

  1. Hi Charmaine
    I love these, especially the black and white tree Zentangle.

    ReplyDelete